Built in Jefferson, Georgia in 1879, this beautiful building was actually the third structure built to serve as the county courthouse. The first was a small wooden structure built in 1806 when Jefferson became the County Seat of Jackson County, Georgia. The second bigger structure was built in 1817 and served for over 60 years. Finally in 1879, this incredible landmark was constructed and served for 125 years until in 2004, the new courthouse complex was built.
Over the following 10 years, a group of dedicated and passionate volunteers campaigned to give new purpose to the historic building. On Aug. 10, 2014, the 'new' Jackson County Historic Courthouse opened, serving as the Jackson County Welcome Center and Historic Archives. In August of 2020, the second floor courtroom was completely restored and serves as an event venue, fast becoming a cherished and vital part of the Jackson County community.